Thursday, April 21, 2016

11 minus 1: In honour of John Butler.

So I for one can't be bothered/can't afford upgrading at the rate the marketing pressures suggest. My bike is only a year old and already the drivetrain is 2 generations behind... I'll wait for 13 speed and then upgrade :P
When the Norco was due for a new chain and cassette I found a dirge of wide range 10 speeders available and the price of the few available was ludicrous. As an experiment (I like those) I bought an XT Shimano 11 speed 11-40t cassette and an 11 speed 105 chain. I ditched the 19t cog to get 10 speeds and put an extra couple of cassette washers on the driver. To fix the shift movement I added a 2mm washer under the cable and moved it to the other side of the pinch bolt. I also had to wind the B screw right in.


 The results?
It shifts better than it ever did as a stock 10 speed XT group right across the range. The derailleur movement seems more accurate than before. The 11-40t is perfect for me in terms of spread. I experimented with an 18t road cog to give a 15-18-21 instead of 15-17-21 in the middle but the small shift ramps meant it was horrible to shift across.

Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment